I am so excited to share one of my favorite and very festive summer recipes, 4th of July Fruit Kabobs. I brought these treats to a party last summer and they were such a hit. Not only are these kabobs adorable, but they are also healthy – a clear win for team Mom.
4th of July Fruit Kabobs – Ingredient List & What You Need:
A set of skewers (the ones pictured are bamboo, 6in.)
A mini seedless watermelon (or half a large watermelon)
Blueberries (7-10 per average sized skewer)
Star cookie cutter
Step 1: Wash blueberries, sticks, and slice watermelon to fit the width of the star cutter (mine is exactly 1inch thick).
Step 2: Slide the blueberries onto the stick (start with whichever fruit you ultimately want on the bottom), with the pointed end of the skewer facing up.
Step 3: Using the cutter, create a star shape out of the watermelon. Place the star at the top of the skewer, making sure the pointed stick is not exposed beyond the watermelon.
Tips for Creating 4th of July Fruit Kabobs
- The key to keeping the fruit on the sticks is to make sure the skewer is inserted in the center, otherwise they may break apart.
- If possible, choose a watermelon that is not grainy in texture, it will not hold well on the stick. I had great luck with an organic mini seedless watermelon from Whole Foods – but any ripe watermelon should be fine.
- Be really sure the stick is not exposed beyond the watermelon and pay close attention with young kids handling the skewers. Metal or plastic skewers might not be as sharp as the wooden ones and should take the fruit just as well – be sure they are thin enough, however, if you use small blueberries.
- The 6in skewers I used are small, I fit 7 blueberries and 1 star on each – perfect for my two year old. If you use larger skewers, just plan to use more fruit! 🙂
- I’ve also used strawberries for this recipe before with a larger skewer – it was a little more work getting the strawberries to stay put, but it’s a festive add-on if you’re up for the challenge.
Enjoy these delicious and festive treats this summer!